Monday, May 07, 2012

Chasing Butterflies

This one is a bit different..rougher . I saw my little boy run around the garden yesterday and when he ran behind the bushes, there was this great play of light happening. It's already pretty hard for me to draw foliage, and to add light and shadow to it is incredibly hard for me. This is more of a test, a research if you want, and I wasn't going to post it at first..but I figured.... It'll be nice to put it, and, in a few weeks, few months from now, when I figure out how to think about this more properly and render it in a more convincing manner, I'll be able to look back on this and realize that it was as good a starting point as any other. I am writing this because I get a lot of questions or concerns about younger artists or students who are afraid of trying to do something they don't think they can, or actually think they would never be able to. All you need to do is the first step, and then build on it ..it's a little like opening a box of make it yourself toys.. except that you have no instructions. You have to tinker around a bit( or a lot) to figure it out.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though you say it's rough, this is really really nice! I don't know how you do it, but it's like a painted cell with light shining through it!

Pierre Rougemont said...

Superbe !

Anonymous said...

I've been keeping an eye on your blog since some of your art showed up on Tumblr, and I'm a big fan. I'd just like to say that I really enjoyed the "rougher" style you used here - it lends the pic a feeling of movement and... impermanence, almost like looking at old, faded photos of children playing.

Ben Leon said...

I love it pascal :) love teh mix of hard and soft edges. also it was great to meet you at wondercon and pick your brain a bit about your process.

Tarsia said...

Thank you Pascal.

Nirzara Verulkar said...

Its amazing :)